welcome, readers, writers and revellers

This is the blog of Oxford University Poetry Society, where you can get up-to-date news about our upcoming events and poetry readings, dates of poetry workshops, read contributors' poetry, and try a hand at writing your own...

Friday 3 October 2008

The Orange

Dear Reader, welcome to the 'blog of the Oxford University Poetry Society. I thought it would be nice to start by getting all the contributors to post a favourite poem, and some words about it. Let's not worry about copyright problems until we actually start getting sued, eh?

I first read this poem when I was first in love with the first girl I was in love with. I read it before I had ever written any poetry, and after I had read it I wanted to write poetry myself, as well as read everything Wendy Cope had written. No romantic poem has ever felt to me more true to the feeling of being in love than this. This poem says, it is possible to be happy.


The Orange

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange -
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave -
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange, it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.

by Wendy Cope, from Serious Concerns (1992)

2 comments:

? said...

Hello guys,

I love music with some poetry and I'm glad I came by this blog and from reading it suddenly there is a feeling of vastness, of connection, and I dissolve into it. What an interesting start. I want to believe you have just gained yourself a reader or follower in the parlance of blogging.

Also, I see you are a salmon rushdie fan as well. I'm reading presently one of his books, the satanic verses, have you completed it and what do you think of it?

I would like to return here if you do feel a counter visit is worth a bit of your time considering our individual deadlines?

My compliments.

Lavinia said...

A wonderful poem ! yes I love those moments of happiness when you feel on top of things, jobs on list done - content. Hard to sustain during busy term time at Oxford !
Have you checked out Wendy reading on the Poetry Archive? if people haven't come across it, it really is the most brilliant of sites - can hear old and new poets reciting their work, and Wendy's got a few:

http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoet.do?poetId=5677